Biological invasions - Environmental aspects

The Austral-Pacific region has numerous characteristics that make regional coordination on invasive alien species issues particularly important. For example, 98% of its 30 million km2 is ocean; the remaining 2% contains 7500 islands, of which just 500 are inhabited. Many islands in the three subregions - Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia - are small and widely scattered.

The papers and abstracts published in this book are the outcome of the conference on Island Invasives: Eradication and Management held at Tamaki Campus, University of Auckland, New Zealand from 5 to 12 February 2010, hosted by the Centre for Biodiversity and Biosecurity (University of Auckland and Landcare Research), in collaboration with the IUCN/SSC Invasive Species Specialist Group.